Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dreams do come true

Today was one of those regular old days when nothing was super eventful but everything seemed perfect. Alex slept in pretty late while I cleaned up the house and watched my Royal Wedding coverage. I made breakfast, we went to Lowe's, he hung up our flat screen wall mount, I cleaned the patio and planted my rescued clearance plants I bought at Lowe's. We...well, I made dinner, and ate in on our nicely cleaned patio with a faint smell of citronella in the air. The perfect end to a perfect day being husband and wife.

About an hour ago I decided (after much debate) to go to Baskin Robbins for their 31 cent night. It was such a nice spring evening, we drove with the windows down. When we got there, of course, there was a long line, so we stood in it and just told jokes to each other and had fun. On the way home I actually was able to keep the radio on KFRG (Alex is not a fan of country!) and Rascall Flatts came on Fast Cars and Freedom, I exclaimed, "I haven't heard this song in so long!" I hadn't, in fact I hadn't listened to country period. in a long time. I'm trying to slowly introduce Alex to the genre and am hoping he will start to like it... As I listened to the song, I thought to myself, before I was was married or even engaged I had always wished for those sappy country love songs to come true in my life. I mean, after all, I had had my fair share, if not more, of the sappy sad, he's cheatin' and lyin' songs come true, so I really wanted to be the girl, the wife that her husband sees out of the corner of his eye or across a room and just falls more in love with each time. All that time, I thought, some day... right? I was right! In the Rascall Flatts song the begining line is:

'Starin' at you takin' off your makeup
Wondering why you even put it on
I know you think you do but baby you don't need it
Wish that you could see what I see it when it's gone'


Sometimes I'll catch Alex watching me, or he'll just tell me I'm beautiful or how lucky he is and it makes me blush and giggle I and think, now I know. I know what it feels like to have a husband who loves me so much. Now I get to play that part in those songs! I am so blessed to have a husband who expresses his feelings, happy or sad. He knows he can trust me and I know I can trust him. Our hearts are safe with each other.

That song has a little extra meaning to us also because we dated in high school, for those of you who don't know.  I was 16 and he was 18, we went to homecoming together, he was my first 'car date'...and we were late getting home, and I got in trouble, but that's another story....Anyway, I love to hear Alex tell me the story about when we met again ten years later, his feelings driving to Mammoth. I like to hear him admit he made a mistake dumping me!....LOL. But hey, that's the way it was meant to be...In the Rascall Flatts song they sing, "You don't look a day over fast cars and freedom..." and now that I'm 30 (ugh) and some days feel old, he still sees me as 16, and that makes me feel good :) I hope that lasts a long time!

Sometimes it's weird to think that he turned out to be the one! He really broke my heart back then! And now, here I am, living one of those sappy country love songs. Love it!

cutest couple, circa 1997

3 comments:

Alexander said...

Too True my Sweet. Too True :)
I love you more with each passing day, and I look forward to loving you more throughout the rest of our lives.
You will have plenty of opportunities to live out all the sappy love songs you like :)

xoxo said...

LOVE this B! I can;t wait for my own country love song ;) Cheers to you both!!!! So happy for you both to have found the love of your life!! Yay!!!

papa2four said...

Give me a minute to clear this lump in my throat! That's beautiful Belinda. I am so glad that you're happy, safe, confident, and in love with your marriage to Alex. I love you both and you make me very happy too!