Thursday, May 31, 2012

Little Liam's 2 Month Appointment

Our little Liam had his first round of shots this morning.


Looking a little concerned.

Daddy giving him a pep talk.
He was all smiles this morning and flirting with the nurses. Little did he know what was coming. The doctor examined his first and said he was doing fantastic. At 11 weeks, 5 days he weighs 13lbs and is 24 inches long. After we asked some 'new parent' questions the doctor sent the nurse back in to administer the painful pricks. One was given with a syringe orally and the three were old fashioned needles in the thigh. When the nurse gave him the first one, for a second he looked stunned until the pain set in and then he let out a huge cry and my heart shattered. I had never heard him cry like that. I never understood how parents said that they could distinguish different cries, well now I know...and that was definitely an UNHAPPY cry that I had never heard and I hope to hear rarely (if never again, impossible I know...) in his lifetime.

An unhappy Mr. Liam.



All three were given in a blink of an eye and as soon as they were finished Alex held him first for a while and then I sat and tried to nurse him to help comfort him. It seemed to work only for a few seconds until he began wailing again in pain. I just help him close and sang to him walking around the little exam room. As I hummed a little tune to him he seemed to quiet down here and there and I hoped that I was doing my best job to be his protector and comfort him when he needed it. I hoped he felt soothed in my arms as a child should feel in their mothers embrace.
It was tough for me to see him go through this but I knew it was for his best interest. A first for the books...
He slept after the appointment but when we got home he woke up crying and I could tell he was in pain still and not happy. We gave him a small dose of infant tylenol, I nursed him and cuddled him all afternoon and by around 6pm he was smiling again...still a little more fussy than usual but at least I saw a few smiles...almost to say, "Thanks Mama for making me feel a little better." 



He's sleeping comfortably now and I hope that he doesn't have nightmares of today's events :( He'll probably be sleeping between us tonight for a little extra TLC, for Liam and Mama ;) Goodnight!

No comments: